Recipe adapted from here.
Serving: Makes 6 bagels
1. Whole Wheat flour - 1 2/3 cup and 1/4 cup more for kneading and rolling surfaces
2. Lukewarm water - 3/4 cup
3. Active dry yeast - 1 teaspoon
4. Salt - 1 teaspoon
5. Sugar - 1 tablespoon
6. Sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon
7. Milk - 1 tablespoon
1. Take 3/4 cup of lukewarm water in a mixing bowl and add active dry yeast. Stir in yeast and let it rest for 15 minutes.
2. Add 1 cup of flour and mix well for couple of minutes.
3. Add salt, sugar and 2/3 cup of flour and knead for 3 more minutes.
4. Sprinkle little flour on a clean kitchen counter and place the dough on it. Continue to knead for 10 more minutes adding little flour if needed.
5. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and rest in warm place for around 2 hours for the dough to double in size.
6. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll into balls. Flatten each of the balls and make a hole in the center.
7. Place the dough pieces on a lightly floured surface and cover with plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F.
9. Meanwhile, boil around 2 cups of water in a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Boil the dough pieces for 4 minutes turning once. Drain off the water completely from dough pieces and place them on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
10. Brush the surface of bagel with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds.
11. Bake in oven for 12- 15 minutes until the surface turns golden brown color.
12. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.